Thursday, November 14, 2013

Some Days...


There are days when the day job works. It pays the bills. There are days with the writing works. Saturday I wrote 5 pages at BN, seated at a table against the windows, not far from the romance isle. Monday I wrote one page. Somewhere in the middle of that page I decided to
change the title of my current WIP (work-in-progress for those of you who aren't familiar with writing lingo) from Dragon's Keeper to Dragon's Fire. Tuesday I wrote two pages before I started the day job. Before my first break, I wondered (for 30 seconds) if I should give up writing all together. The day job sucked. Wednesday (today) I didn't write, except for this blog.

This month is NaNoWriMo. Like many others, I'm participating. My goal is to finish the ugly draft of Dragon's Fire by December 31st, and perhaps complete the planning phase for the contemporary romance flailing in my head. It's a really fun story. Next year I'd like to write two dragon stories, and one or two contemporary romances. Ambitious considering the day job.

For the next few months, I'm ignoring social media (except Pinterest). Probably to my peril. Soon I'll launch a new website. It might even have a blog. On my 2014 calendar are two conferences, and one trip to Hawaii, and hopefully four writing retreats to the Oregon coast.

This is the life of a writer. Sometimes it's passionate. Sometimes it's spastic. Sometimes it works.

What aspect of your life are you most passionate about? What really works?

5 comments:

Paty Jager said...

In the beginning I had days like that. Not any more. I think partly because writing is my day job and partly because my life is happier when I'm manipulating my character's lives.

Susan said...

One of these days my writing and day job are going to get along with one another, har har :)

Maggie Jaimeson said...

When I was working at another job full time and writing was in the other hours, there were many times I had days--or even months-- like what you describe. I think the key is just not giving up. If you can only do one page a day that is a novel a year.

What I used to do was do all my pages on the weekend. I like having chunks of time and working 50-60 hours per week outside of writing I was often exhausted and couldn't get into it. But on the weekend I could pound out ten pages if I put my mind to it.

Hang in there, Susan. You are a wonderful and amazing writer. I, for one, would truly miss your voice if you stopped for too long.

Susan said...

Thanks, Maggie, for your encouragement. We are sisters of the heart, right?

Danita Cahill said...

Just keep going, Su. Maggie's right about that. My first published novel took me six years of fits and starts to complete. My second took only five months.