Thursday, October 10, 2013

There Is A Season For Everything

My favorite time of the year is summer. I love seeing the sun every day. I love the warmth. I love
the color of summer. I love unbundling – this is not a word, but I'm using it anyway – and wearing pants that come just below my knees, instead of down to my ankles. But then along comes September. Kids go back to school. The stores fill up with school supplies. Who can resist stocking up? Not me. And inside I begin to get ready for fall and winter as I slowly back into my winter cave.

This year, here's what my winter cave looks like. I've talked about the ugly day job until I'm sick of hearing the words come out of my mouth, so not going there, but there's been an interesting development at the cave on Surface Road. Most days, before starting work, I go to this little coffee shop, called appropriately enough, The Grind. It opens at 6:00am. If I get there by 6:30, I can write for an hour before starting work. It's fun, and productive, and the same people hang out there every morning.

October will be taken up with a class on plotting. It's called, Quilting 101: Patchworking the Perfect Plot (Even if You're a Pantser). The class is taught by Suzanne Johnson. It's very exciting. I'll be working on two projects: Dragon's Keeper, and for lack of a better title, And Then There Were Three. It might be I'll look at a third project, Her Frog Prince. That would give me a lot to work on this winter season.

November is National Novel Writing Month. Writers from around the world take the month off from their everyday lives, and as best they can, write 50K words on a project they'll then spend the rest of the winter sorting out. It's a challenge, but a lot of published books come out of NaNoWriMo. For me, it'll be a great segue into December and January, when my dream is to forget the world, and spend the deepest months of winter, in my cave, writing my heart out.

How are you going to spend this winter season?


You can follow Susan Lute, author of Dragon's Thief and Falling For A Hero, The Anthology, on Facebook, Goodreads, Pinterest, and her newest home on the web, Crazy Hair Publishing.

2 comments:

Paty Jager said...

I plan to spend the winter much the same as you...writing! I have three books that need written so I can move on to my next adventure of writing another genre.

My favorite season is fall when the air turns crisp and the leaves turn to vivid shades of yellow, red, and magenta.

Happy winter cave writing!

Susan said...

Thanks, Paty. This year, I'm really looking forward to it :)