Sunday, September 15, 2013

What is Life Without a Happy Ending? by Paty Jager


I’ve always had an active imagination that revolved around romance. I’m not sure if it was from the fairy tales I read, the television shows I watched, or the fact it is just something that is inherent in me. I was a voracious reader through school. But I wouldn’t read any sissy, skinny books. No- I picked the fattest books I could find in my school library. Those were books by Phyllis Whitney and Victoria Holt. Fat Gothic romances.

In the summer, when I didn’t get to town often, I rode my horse in the mountains and fantasized about an Indian riding bareback toward me, his long black hair floating behind him, revealing a broad, bronze chest, rippling muscles on his torso, and long legs gripping the horse. We’d stare at one another and without speaking he’d lead my horse up the mountain to a secluded meadow—

Yep, as a teenager, I had a very vivid romantic bent. ;)

As a new mother, I read mysteries, with a romance thrown in the mix here and there. Then one day I picked up a LaVyrle Spencer novel. Her book “Hummingbird” took me on a whole new path of reading enjoyment and clenched the genre I wanted to write. I could write about the history I loved and conjure up people who could come to life not only for me but for readers.  I could make characters love and hurt and love again.  And always, always have a happy ending. After all, what is life if you can’t imagine a happy ending in your future?



5 comments:

Susan said...

I can't imagine writing a book without a happy ending, either :)

Maggie Jaimeson said...

Definitely must have a happy ending. I could never write a sad ending or read a book with a sad ending. For me, it doesn't have to be happily ever after romance--though I love those stories--but it does have to be full of hope for moving forward and a believe the hero/heroine will make it after the book ends.

Danita Cahill said...

I want a love story woven into any book I read. It doesn't have to be the love between a man and a woman, necessarily, it can be the love between a mother and daughter, for example, but a good book has to have love!

Paty, I really like your new head shot. You look so young and vivacious!

Paty Jager said...

Susan and Maggie, I agree, the ending has to be uplifting or satisfying or the book drops a peg in my eyes.

Paty Jager said...

Danita, *snort* young and vivacious! I wasn't even that when I was young. LOL I agree it doesn't have to be a love story as long as the ending is happy or satisfying.