Thursday, September 5, 2013

THE REJECTION COLLECTION – SET YOURSELF FREE


The other day as I opened my inbox and scanned through my email I clicked on a NetGalley review.  Short and sweet, the reviewer didn’t say much, but still it was nice to get some positive feedback.

And that’s when I sat back on my balance chair, slightly awestruck.

Ever have one of those moments?  That epiphanal A-HA that sweeps through body and soul?  Not all that long ago, before I saw e-book publishing light, I’d be sitting there on my balance chair bummed out by the rejections I’d received.

Now, I check my email and rejoice that READERS are READING my books.  

This is so much better than waiting for rejections from agents and editors. And the moment everything changed, the moment that set me free, was when I got crystal clear on the reality that I don’t, and NEVER WILL, have that NEW YORK publishing voice or style. I just don’t.  And it doesn’t matter anymore.  Just because agents and editors don’t get me, doesn’t mean readers won’t.
 
Because some do.  Sure, there are a few critics, too… but there are readers and reviewers who love my voice and style and THAT’S WHAT COUNTS.

All I had to do was find the courage within myself to step away from the madness, leave the old dream in the dust, and believe that I could find readers.

What happened to the old rejection collection, the emails I amassed when I was trying oh-so-hard to get traditionally published?  They sit in file in my inbox, ready for permanent deletion.  Because they just don’t matter anymore.  
 
Are you a reader or a writer?  What do you think of this new frontier of publishing?
 
Jamie Brazil is the author of The Commodore's Daughter as well as other novels.  Please visit her on Facebook at http://facebook.com/BrazilBooks

5 comments:

Paty Jager said...

I'm a reader and a writer. I went epub after a stint with a small press. I found the freedom of having readers enjoy my books even when they don't fit the mold of the big NY publishers. It is those reviews and emails from readers that makes what I do so worthwhile. If a book is well written and edited it deserves to be out in the world for readers to enjoy it. Congrats on the step into epublishing!

Maggie Jaimeson said...

I love this part of your blog: "All I had to do was find the courage within myself to step away from the madness, leave the old dream in the dust, and believe that I could find readers."

I'm also a reader and a writer. As a reader I used to wonder why a writer "stopped writing" a series when it was only half way through or why she changed publishers. Now I know it wasn't her fault. It was the changing tastes of NY--primarily a taste that went from the idea that selling 10,000 copies was fine to only wanting to buy guaranteed best sellers.

It is reviews and notes from readers that drive me too. I know I can never please everyone, but when someone tells me she laughed or cried or fell in love when reading my book, it makes my day.

I love your books AND your voice, Jaimie. I can see that any others do too.

Jamie Brazil said...

Maggie and Paty, you guys are my inspiration :)

Susan said...

It's interesting how many authors start out as readers. I too am a reader and writer. When life gets extra nuts, I love nothing more than sitting down with a good book and leaving the world behind for awhile.

I have one of those voices that editors and agents either love or don't love at all. I don't get much in between :), but as we've seen there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Jamie, you tell a wonderful story. So glad you didn't give up!

Barbara Rae Robinson said...

As Maggie said, this is the key:

All I had to do was find the courage within myself to step away from the madness, leave the old dream in the dust, and believe that I could find readers.

You found that courage. I'm working on it.

Barb