Thursday, August 1, 2013

Coffee Connections by Jamie Brazil


Writers run on coffee, and I’m not sure I’m mentally capable of writing a sentence without my cup of morning joe. I love coffee and I'm drinking some right now.
 
Another thing I love… putting the right people together.

I’m a bit of a matchmaker, and my matches have led to happy unions and, officially, two marriages.  But not all connections are love connections... some are caffeinated.
Like last Sunday.  
 
After talking my husband into hitting the garage sale trail with me, our path led to coffee.   
Actually, it was the yard sale of a food distributor.  His tables were  stocked with everything from coconut flour and gluten-free specialties to coffee and tea.  Unfortunately, I didn't buy any coffee because his boxes upon boxes of beverages were all pods for a Keurig. 

Fast forward to the very next garage sale five blocks away with a Keurig coffeemaker at the curb.  Cost: $15.  But I didn't buy it.  Instead, I asked the seller why she was parting with her Keurig.  Her reply was lack of counter space and how expensive it was to brew drinks! So while I couldn’t do anything about her counter space situation, I told her about the previous sale, went to my car, and got the address for her.  And luckily, she had her husband to cover for her at her own sale while she went shopping:)
 
I love it when stuff like that happens.  As for me, I’m still brewing in my vintage Chemex, which doesn’t take up a lot of room. 



Windtree Press author Jamie Brazil drinks medium roast, writes fiction, and obsesses over her Bloodhound. 

 PS- How much does your morning cup of joe cost?  I think it was Fast Company magazine that ran a how-much-does-it-cost coffee comparison recently.  Based on a 12-cup pot, Maxwell House/ Folgers will run a nickel a cup, while bagged coffee drinkers (Tully’s/Seattle’s Best) pay a quarter per cup.  The most expensive home-brewed cup was, no surprise here, Keurig and their competitors, at $1.25 per cup!  Which may be a deal if you’re trying to cut back on a twice-a-day Starbucks fix and save a few bucks.

 

5 comments:

Paty Jager said...

My cup of Joe is $.0 . I've never liked the taste of coffee. I love the smell of it brewing but don't like the taste. Not even in baking. When a recipe calls for crystals of coffee, I leave them out. But my cup of hot chocolate every morning(which I must have like coffee drinkers must have their coffee) costs me $.12.

Fun post!

Paty Jager said...

Oh, and that was so you, to tell the woman at the other yard sale where she could find cheap kuerig cups! I have a kuerig, but we mainly use it to have quick hot water for hot chocolate and tea. I do keep a few of the K-cups of coffee for when we have a coffee drinker in the house.

Jamie Brazil said...

Paty, that's a great idea to keep some extra Keurig pods around for guests. For boiling water we use a hot shot instant water boiler. Got my mom-in-law and sis-in-law hooked on those... though they do burn out with heavy use.

Susan said...

We are trying something called Choffy in our house. It's brewed chocolate (you brew it in a french press. It's a few calories, an antioxidant, gives "healthy energy", and "lowers blood pressure, blood sugars, leading to feelings of excitement and alertness. Some people say it's a little like falling in love." Now that's good marketing :)

Maggie Jaimeson said...

Hmmm. I've never calculated our cost before. We buy whole beans at Costco. Grind them in the morning and do the French Press. My calculation came out at just under $1 per cup. As I drink about 4 cups in the morning I guess that adds up.

Susan, I'd love to know how you do Choffy. It sounds delish.