Thursday, July 18, 2013

The Busy Life

There is an old saying that I think must be true:  If you want something done...give it to a busy person.

I remember the opening of a speech I gave about a decade ago that went something like this:

     This last summer I traveled through 5 states with my family, attended an out of state conference, went camping in the mountains, spent a week at the beach, helped the hubby remodel the kitchen, hosted out of town visitors, participated on Portland to Coast race-walking team, sewed 70 rucksacks for my kid's middle school field study, and...
                                                                   .....wrote a book.

As I recall, there were gasps of shock and awe.  Looking back, I can see it was pretty darned impressive. Manic.  A tad nuts.  But, the point is, I did it.  How?  I forced myself to carve out time and discovered that a half hour here, an hour there,  some late night scribbling, and some bleary-eyed mornings eventually added up to a manuscript.

So, if you're feeling a tad over-whelmed and way-too-busy, count yourself lucky.  Chances are, you'll get 'er done.
Carolyn

4 comments:

Susan said...

I'm counting on this being true :)

Paty Jager said...

I agree! The busier I am the more I seem to accomplish. You know you have to get things done and you do them rather than procrastinate.

Maggie Faire said...

I LOVED this list and that sneaky "wrote a book." It can definitely be done as long as one doesn't subscribe to the I-only-write-when-the-muse-strikes-me mentality. This means, we can soon see more books from you. :)

Danita Cahill said...

Good for you, Carolyn. And very inspirational. Thank you. With the kids home from school for the summer and all the things pulling me in seventeen different directions, I'm having a hard time staying focused on my fiction writing. Must. Stay. Focused.