Saturday, July 20, 2013

Dream Catcher

A while back there was a discussion about building "buzz"  about a book before it came out. I'd like to build some buzz for the mystery series I'll launch in 2014 and came up with the idea of using/giving Native American Dream Catchers.

Dream catchers were made from willow sticks bent into circles and covered with bits and pieces of ornaments and leather.Then a web was strung in the middle to catch the bad dreams and allow the good dreams to flow  through.

I just attended a powwow and found the perfect dream catchers to use as  prizes. The gentleman who makes them also gave me a brief lesson about the web-like ornaments. First off he said I picked Native American ones because they only had two knots. Indians make the catchers with a knot at the beginning and one where at the end. He said Whiteman catchers have more than two knots.  He also told me the types of feathers on my specific catchers were pheasant, turkey,and guinea. The only significance being you can't sell eagle and hawk feathers, so they use the feathers from domestic birds. The pheasant feathers came from a game farm.

The reason I wanted dream catchers for prizes has to do with my protagonist in my mystery series. She is half Native American and her deceased Native American grandmother comes to her in dreams helping her solve the mysteries.

As a reader do you like receiving prizes other than books or along with books?


6 comments:

Maggie Faire said...

I love the comment about Native American dream catchers only have two knots whereass white man catchers have more. I think this is a great idea for your promo.

I have a dream catcher in my office that a good friend made for me. And it was looking at that dream catcher that also gave me a scene in my first Chameleon novel. Dream catchers are powerful objects.

Paty Jager said...

Thanks Maggie! I've always been fascinated not only for the story behind the dream catchers but the way they look like a spider web. And wondered if it was someone noticing how some things are caught in a web and others aren't that made them liken it to catching good and bad drams.

Danita Cahill said...

We have a dream catcher in the living room window. Not sure how far away it can be from the bedrooms and still catch the bad dreams. But not sure if I want to give up my bad dreams anyway since a nightmare was the catalyst for my thriller novel "Mist."

I will have to check our dream catcher and count the knots.

I like the idea of dream catchers as prizes along with your mystery books. That would be a fun package to win.

I wonder if your character Shandra Higheagle uses a dream catcher? If so, would it block the visions from her grandmother?

Paty Jager said...

Thanks, Danita. No, Shandra doesn't have a dream catcher and her grandmother's dreams would come through because while they disturb Shandra they help her find the bad people.

Caroline Clemmons said...

Depends on the prize. I'd love one of those dream catchers. I always want one of your books.

Paty Jager said...

Awe, Thanks, Caroline!