Thursday, May 23, 2013

Planning for Summer

This is the time of year when graduation ceremonies abound and families look forward to summer vacations or special plans that are different from their daily lives.

Now that I don't have children at home anymore, I am not as in tune with summer vacation planning. In fact, when I looked at the date for this blog post I thought: "Oh Dear, summer is just around the corner and I haven't begun to plan."  All of our family plans are focused on Fall when our youngest son is gettting married.  That will be our big vacation this year.

However, I thought I'd blog about vacations I'd like to take in the future. There are three places I'm dying to visit: Iceland, New Zealand, and Hawaii. They have some similarities. All of them are islands. All of them have beautiful water, mountains, and volcanic diversity. Despite cities and countryside, all of them carry magic in my mind.

I've been to Hawaii on business several times, but my husband has not and I would love to go with him. Hawaii is one of the most beautiful and diverse places I've visited. Each island has it's own culture, highlights, and geologic diversity.  I'm sure we will get there, but we've both decided we won't go until we can afford about three weeks there--preferably a month.



Iceland appeals to me because the island is so volcanically active and I absolutely want to be there to see the Northern Lights. I also want to be immersed in the Viking culture that had such an impact on Europe. And, of course, I wonder about books that were set in Iceland like Verne's Journey to the Center of the Earth.


New Zealand appeals to me because every time a friend or relative goes there, the pictures are amazing!  I'd love to visit the place where The Whale Rider originated and where The Lord of the Rings films were made. For such a small island, the difference between North and South are stark and interesting. I also remember an exchange student from New Zealand when I was in high school who did a Maori dance demonstration at an awards ceremony. I think I had a crush on him too. :) He was very good looking and had a caring personality.

What are your summer plans? Any places on your dream list?


5 comments:

Paty Jager said...

My summer plans are haying and attending a reader conference in Colorado Springs. I've never been there and should find it an adventure.

I told my husband (who refuses to go to Hawaii)That he has to take me to a tropical island with white sand beaches before we are too old to enjoy them. LOL

Windtree Press said...

Oh no. Refuses to go to Hawaii? Does he have something against tropical weather, hula, and lots of yummy food?

Danita Cahill said...

Let's see - oral surgery, me. Alpaca shearing, and swimming lessons for the boys. Mmmm...I think we need to add some fun vacation time into our summer plans, too. Maybe a trip down the southern Oregon Coast?

Maggie Faire said...

We need to all work on a way to convince your DH, Paty, that Hawaii is the best deal. There are warm sides and cool sides, mountains and beaches and even some flat lands like eastern Oregon. On one island, Kauai there is a mini grand canyon. It's like a microcosm of great places all in one small island chain.

Maggie Jaimeson said...

Received a Viking River Cruises brochure in the mail. It is cruising the rivers of Europe from Amsterdam to Bulgaria. Looks heavenly. I may have to add that to my list of places to go for vacation one day. :)